How to Fill Out the SS4 Form for an LLC?│Line-by-Line Guide

Atty. Danya Shakfeh
Published by Atty. Danya Shakfeh | Author
Last updated: February 23, 2024
We meticulously research and verify the information presented in our articles. By consulting reliable sources and ensuring factual accuracy, we are committed to providing readers with well-informed, trustworthy content.

The SS4 Form is required to apply for an Employer Identification Number (EIN) with the IRS.

As a corporate attorney who helped entrepreneurs form LLCs across the States, I understood the importance of obtaining an EIN, as well as the process involved of acquiring one.

After consulting our team of tax experts, we'll provide a comprehensive guide on how to fill out the SS4 form for a limited liability company.

Quick Summary:

  • To fill out Form SS-4 for an LLC you will need to provide the correct information about your business, including its legal name, mailing address, and type of entity. 
  • To complete the process, you need to send the completed form to the IRS via mail, fax, or online. Once you do this correctly, you should receive your Employer Identification Number (EIN) shortly afterward.
  • The quickest way to obtain an EIN is to apply online, since the application is processed immediately. It would take 2 weeks if you filed the EIN by fax and 4 to 5 weeks by mail.
  • Even though a single-member LLC is not required to obtain an EIN, I advise business owners to apply for one since it is necessary to open a business bank account, hire employees, and avail of financial aid.

Fill out the SS4 Form for LLC

A close up shot of an SS4 document

When completing Form SS-4, you must provide specific information, including the following:

Ensure that the name you've chosen for your business is correct and looks similar on this line as it does on your LLC Articles of Organization.

Line 2. Trade name of the business

Fill out the LLC business name or "doing business as" (DBA) name of the LLC if it operates under a different name.

Line 3. Executor, administrator, trustee, “care of” name

We had to put the full name of a person authorized to handle the company's legal issues, since we employed a third responsible party to file for the company's EIN.

Lines 4a–b. Mailing address

Enter the business address to which mail will be delivered. This should generally be the same address as used for the company's tax returns.

Lines 5a–b. Street address

If the company has a physical address (not its mailing address) that differs from those in lines 4a–b, fill it in. If both addresses are identical, leave lines 5a–b blank.)

Line 6. County and state where the principal business is located

Fill in the business county and state.

Lines 7a–b. Name of the responsible party

Enter the business's responsible party's complete name (including the first name, middle initial, and last name) and SSN, ITIN, or EIN.

The IRS states that the responsible party is the individual who must sign Form SS-4 [1].

Lines 8a–c. Limited Liability Company (LLC) information

Since my client's firm is an LLC, we had to provide the names of the members and other additional information about the company.

Line 9a. Type of business entity

Fill out this form and check only the box that indicates which type of entity your business is, such as LLC, Sole Proprietorship, Partnership, S Corporation, or Personal Service Corporation.

Filling in this Form SS-4 does not constitute a tax classification election for your LLC.

Line 10. Reason for applying

Indicate the primary reason for applying for an EIN. These can include opening a business bank account, hiring employees, or applying for loans.

Read our article for more information on how to get a Tax ID number for an LLC.

What is an EIN?

An paper about EIN

An EIN is a nine-digit tax ID number that is given to businesses by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for LLC tax filing and reporting purposes.

You may need to provide your business with a federal tax identification number for various reasons, including legal requirements, establishing a line of credit at a bank, and opening an account at a financial institution.

If you do not have an EIN, you can obtain one by filing IRS Form SS-4 [2].

For patriots like me, paying taxes gives a feeling of responsibility, of being part of the fabric of our country, of contributing to the common good. - Joyce Marcel, award-winning Vermont Journalist


Do Both Members of an LLC Need an EIN?

Both members of an LLC does not need an EIN since the number is assigned to a business and not the individual.

What Is the Difference Between a Federal Tax Identification Number and a Social Security Number?

The main difference between a Federal Tax Identification Number and a Social Security Number is their purpose. An EIN, obtained through Form SS-4, identifies a business for tax purposes, while a Social Security Number is used for personal tax identification.

When to File Form SS4?

File Form SS4 4 to 5 weeks before you need the EIN.

How to Fill out IRS Form SS4

An EIN is an IRS-issued identification number that all US employers are required to use when filing federal tax returns.

Applying for this type of identification can be completed by applying for the IRS Form SS 4 online and filling out the form provided through the site.

If you need further help on what tax forms your LLC needs to file, you can consult with a law firm or an experienced online legal service for more information on legal and tax advice.



About The Author

You May Also Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *