How to Change an LLC Name in Indiana (Step by Step Guide)
The name you choose as a business owner will impact its success immensely, and if you are not satisfied with your Indiana limited liability company name, you can easily change it.
Your LLC name defines your brand and makes you recognizable, so if you didn't choose a name that represents your expertise the best, you might want to make a change.
As a legal expert who has helped thousands of companies in the LLC industry, I will help you change your Indiana LLC name step by step.
- You can change an LLC name in Indiana by choosing a new name and filing a name reservation form and the articles of amendment with the Indiana Secretary of State.
- Indiana has no expedited option for changing an LLC name, so you can only do paper or online filing.
- You can file a name reservation form for a $20 fee to reserve the new name for 120 days, then file the Articles of Amendment with a $30 online filing fee.
- You must contact the relevant authorities in Indiana to inform them about your new LLC name so they can update your records.
3 Steps To Change An LLC Name in Indiana
To change an LLC name in Indiana, these are the three steps you need to take:
1. Choose A New Indiana LLC Name
You must choose a new Indiana LLC name that does not belong to a business contact information on the Indiana Secretary of State records.
You can contact the Indiana name availability line at (317) 232-6576 or do a name availability check via their website to confirm this .
We recommend checking if the new name satisfies the general name requirements before using it.
For example, it must have the LLC tag at the end of the name, and the name must not suggest or be associated with the terms of federal or state government bodies.
2. Get Member Approval For Name Change
Getting members' approval for an Indiana LLC name change is essential for legal compliance, and ensuring all members agree with the new direction.
You should schedule a formal meeting with all LLC members, following the notice guidelines in your operating agreement or state law, and present the proposed name change, ensuring it aligns with Indiana's legal requirements.
You will then let members discuss and vote, and record the vote and decision in the meeting minutes for official records.
3. File Articles of Amendment
Indiana state government requires you to file the Articles of Amendment by paying a filing fee of $30 so you can change the LLC name.
The payment can be made through the Indiana Access portal called "Inbiz." 
Indiana does not have an option for expedited service, and the $30 filing fee applies to online filings, while paper filings cost $20.
In our experience, we filed our Indiana Articles of Amendment by paper and it took 4 business days to be processed. However, it can take up to 24 hours if you submit it online.
Once you reach the portal, log in to your Inbiz account or create one by clicking "Sign up now."
Once you are logged in, select "Business amendment" under the online services tab.
Enter your entity's name in the search box and choose your limited liability company from the search results.
Click "Next" and complete the online Indiana amendment.
Submit it to the business address or mailing address of the Indiana Secretary of State's Business Services Division.
What To Do After You Change Your Indiana LLC Name
After you change your Indiana LLC name, you will have to take these steps:
- Inform banks and financial institutions: Update your LLC's name with all financial institutions to ensure seamless financial transactions.
- Update contracts and agreements: Modify existing contracts and business agreements to include your new LLC name, preserving their legal validity.
- Notify clients and customers: Communicate the name change to clients and customers to maintain brand recognition and business relationships.
- Update your operating agreement: Amend your LLC's operating agreement to include the new name, ensuring all internal legal documents are current.
- Notify government agencies: Report your LLC's name change to relevant government entities, such as the IRS and Indiana's Secretary of State, for compliance.
- Update licenses and permits: Revise any business licenses and permits to reflect your new LLC name, maintaining legal operations.
Alternatives to LLC Name Change
When contemplating a name change for your LLC in Indiana, there are two alternative methods to consider:
In Indiana, an LLC can register a DBA to operate under a different name, offering flexibility for branding or segmenting business activities without altering the legal entity name.
Certificate of Correction
This allows Indiana LLCs to correct minor errors in official documents, such as typos or inaccuracies in the business name, streamlining the process for small yet crucial adjustments to maintain accuracy in legal records.
How Much Does It Cost To Change An LLC Name In Indiana?
It costs $30 for online filing and $20 for paper filing to change an LLC name in Indiana. These fees are for the Articles of Amendment that you need to effect the change of your Indiana business name.
Will Changing My LLC Name In Indiana As A Business Owner Affect My Registered Agent?
No, changing your LLC name in Indiana as a business owner will not affect your registered agent. You can still use the same registered agent you were using before the name change.
Must I Notify the IRS If I Changed My LLC Name in Indiana?
You must notify the IRS if you changed your LLC name in Indiana. You must provide a signed notification from your LLC owner informing the IRS about the new Indiana business name.
Do I Have to Get a New EIN If I Get a New Indiana LLC Name?
You do not have to get a new EIN if you have a new Indiana LLC name. However, it would be best to verify from the IRS guide that you do not need to provide any information.