How To Change Registered Agent in Pennsylvania? (Guide)
In Pennsylvania, limited liability company owners can change their registered agents with the Secretary of State if the need arises.
To help you understand the filing procedure better, we joined forces with our great team of licensed business advisors with over nine years of experience in the LLC industry and spent four weeks researching the Pennsylvania Secretary of State website for the correct information.
Here's everything you should know about changing a registered agent service in Pennsylvania.
- To change your Pennsylvania registered agent, you must fill out and submit a Statement of Change of Registered Office by Agent with the Pennsylvania Department of State, Corporations Bureau, and Charitable Organizations.
- Pennsylvania LLC owners can change their commercial registered office providers online, by mail, or through a professional service.
- It costs $5 to change Pennsylvania registered agent.
- Opting for a professional service to handle the change can offer convenience and ensure regulatory compliance.
How To Change Your Pennsylvania Registered Agent?
To change your Pennsylvania LLC registered agent, you must fill out and submit a Statement of Change of Registered Office by Agent with the Pennsylvania Department of State, Corporations Bureau, and Charitable Organizations.
As a Pennsylvania limited liability company owner, you can change your commercial registered office provider online, by mail, or through a professional service.
Let's look at each filing method.
1. Changing Your Registered Agent Using a Professional Service
They’ll alert you when the commercial registered agent form is approved.
2. Changing Your Registered Agent Online
Complete the process online if you want the easiest way to change your commercial registered office provider.
The Pennsylvania Department of State's online filing portal allows you to complete the change of registered agent easily and quickly.
Here's are the steps involved:
- Online Submission: To start, you'll need to log into your account on the PA Business One-Stop Hub. If you don’t already have an account, you’ll need to create one.
- Select Your Business: Once logged in, search for and select your business to ensure the change applies to the correct entity.
- Complete and Submit the Form: After selecting your business, you will fill out the Change of Registered Office Form. This form requires information about your current registered agent and the new one you are appointing.
- Fee: Complete the process by paying the $5 state filing fee using a credit card or e-check. If you change your registered office online, it can take a few hours for the SOS to approve your application.
3. Changing Your Registered Agent by Mail, In-person, or Fax
You can also change your registered agent in Pennsylvania by mail, in-person, or fax.
This process involves submitting the Statement of Change of Registered Office by Agent form:
- Obtain the Form: Download the Statement of Change of Registered Office by Agent form from the Pennsylvania Department of State website.
- Fill Out the Form: Provide the following details on the form:
- Name of the business
- The principal registered office address of the business
- Name and address of the old registered agent service
- Name and address of the new registered agent service
- Termination status of the old registered agent service
- The correct date of the filing
- Contact details (name, email, and phone number)
- Official signature of the filer
- Attach the Filing Fee: Once you verify your details, attach the non-refundable $5 filing fee as a check. Make the check payable to the Pennsylvania Department of State.
- Expedited Service (Optional): If you want your document approved faster, you can pay for any of these expedited services:
- $100 for same-day delivery
- $300 for three-hour delivery
- $1,000 for a one-hour delivery
- Submit the Form:
- By Mail: Send the completed form to this address: Pennsylvania Department of State Bureau of Corporations and Charitable Organizations P.O. Box 8722 Harrisburg, PA 17105-8722
- In-person: Deliver the form and payment to the same address.
- By Fax: Fax the completed form to either (717) 705-0927 or (717) 783-2244. Ensure that payment details are included.
- How to Dissolve an LLC in Pennsylvania
- Best LLC Formation Services in Pennsylvania
- Cost of an LLC in Pennsylvania
In life, change is inevitable. In business, change is vital - Warren G. Bennis, American Organizational Consultant.
Who Can Be A Pennsylvania Registered Agent?
Any individual or company can be a Pennsylvania registered agent, provided they meet all state requirements for being one.
A Pennsylvania Commercial Registered Office Provider (CROP) acts as a primary communication point with the Pennsylvania Secretary of State and handles correspondence with the state and other legal notices on behalf of a business entity.
To be a registered agent service in the Pennsylvania Department, you must meet the following state-registered agent requirements:
For a business entity to be a commercial registered agent it:
- Must have a principal office address in Pennsylvania
- Must be permitted to do business in this state
- Must be authorized to manage business filings and handle legal papers
For an individual to be a commercial registered agent you:
- Must be 18 years and above
- Must have a physical address in Pennsylvania
- Must be available during regular office hours to handle legal correspondence with the Secretary of State
Can I Be My Own Registered Agent in Pennsylvania?
Yes, you can be your own registered agent in Pennsylvania if you're above 18 years, are a resident of Pennsylvania, and are available during regular business hours to accept legal documents.
Do I Need to Notify My Current Registered Agent if I Want to Change Them?
Yes, you should notify your current registered agent and provide them with your new registered agent’s information.
Can a Non-Resident be a Registered Agent in Pennsylvania?
Yes, a non-resident can be a registered agent in Pennsylvania, provided they have a physical address in the state. This address must be a place where they can physically receive legal documents and notices during normal business hours.
Do You Want To Change Your Pennsylvania Registered Agent?
If you're seeking a professional to assist you with the amendment process, check out our list of the best registered agent services in Pennsylvania.
These nine low-cost registered agent services will file your Statement of Change of Registered Office and handle other LLC filings you may require.
Additionally, most of these websites have complimentary registered agent services for the first year, ongoing legal compliance, and regular email notifications to maintain your entity in the correct position with the Pennsylvania Secretary of State.