How To Change Registered Agent In North Carolina? (Guide)
As a North Carolina LLC owner, you have probably considered changing your registered agent.
Although the process is simple, following the proper steps to ensure your business complies with state laws is crucial.
Our LLC experts understand the importance of having a reliable registered agent for proper business operation and have helped multiple business owners change theirs.
This article will provide step-by-step instructions to ensure that changing your registered agent goes as smoothly as possible.
- To change a registered agent in North Carolina, you must submit a Statement of Change of Registered Office or Registered Agent form to the Secretary of State and pay a $5 filing fee.
- It usually takes the state 7-10 days to process the form once they receive it by mail and 3-5 business days to process it online.
- In North Carolina, you have the option to act as your registered agent, but you must ensure that you comply with the state's regulations and have a physical street address within the state.
Who Can Be A North Carolina Registered Agent?
A North Carolina registered agent can be an individual or business entity, such as a domestic business corporation, nonprofit corporation, and limited liability company authorized to transact business in the state.
In North Carolina, the Registered Agent must be an active North Carolina business entity filed with the Secretary of State's Office and listed on the business registry.
The registered agent's responsibility is to send any notice, process, or demand to the business entity at their most recent address .
If you have a foreign business entity, you must ensure it is authorized to transact business in North Carolina.
Some companies prefer to use the same registered agent across all states instead of having multiple agents in different states.
How To Change Your North Carolina Registered Agent?
To change your North Carolina registered agent, you should fill out and submit the Statement of Change of Registered Agent form to the North Carolina Secretary of State, Corporations Division.
You can mail or submit the form online or use a North Carolina registered agent service.
It's necessary to pay a $5 filing fee to submit the North Carolina Statement of Change of a Registered Agent.
You can get your documents processed within 24 hours by paying a fee of $100 for expedited service.
If you want same-day processing, you can pay an additional fee of $200.
1. Changing Your Registered Agent Using A Professional Service
If you'd like to utilize a professional service to assist you in changing an LLC registered agent in North Carolina, follow these steps:
- Research and select a reputable registered agent service provider.
- Call the provider and tell them your company's details.
- The provider will prepare and file the Statement of Change of Registered Office or Registered Agent form on your behalf with the North Carolina Secretary of State.
- After the form is processed and approved by the Secretary of State, a confirmation notice will be sent to the new LLC registered agent at the address provided on the form.
Utilizing registered agent services to handle your company's process is recommended, as it can save time and provide correct handling.
2. Changing Your Registered Agent Online
You can fill out and send a Statement of Change of Registered Office and Registered Agent using the North Carolina Secretary of State website .
These are the steps you need to follow:
- Download and complete Form BE-06: Statement of Change of Registered Office and Registered Agent form.
- Access your online account by entering your login credentials.
- Choose "Submit a Filing to an Existing Entity"
- Search for and select your company.
- Select "Upload a PDF Filing"
- To select the appropriate option from the dropdown menu, choose "Designation of Statement of Change of Principal Office and Registered Agent Name/Office."
- Submit the form along with the payment.
3. Changing Your Registered Agent by Mail
To submit a Statement of Change by mail to the North Carolina Secretary of State, you need to download Form BE-06 from their website and complete it before sending it back.
Once your new agent has consented, please send the completed form to the address of the Business Registration Division.
- How To Form an LLC in North Carolina
- Premium LLC Formation Services in North Carolina
- How To Dissolve an LLC in North Carolina
How Much Does It Cost To Change Your Registered Agent In North Carolina?
The cost to change your registered agent in North Carolina is a $5 filing fee for the Statement of Change of Registered Office or Registered Agent form.
What Is The Typical Processing And Completion Time Frame For A Change Of Registered Agent In North Carolina By The State?
The typical processing and completion time frame for a change of registered agent in North Carolina by the state is within 7-10 days by mail and 3-5 business days online.
Can I Be My Own Registered Agent in North Carolina?
Yes, you can be your own registered agent in North Carolina if you meet the requirements. You must be a resident of North Carolina or a business entity authorized to transact business in the state. You must have a physical street address in North Carolina to receive legal documents and other necessary correspondence.
Do You Want to Change Your North Carolina Registered Agent?
If you want to change your North Carolina registered agent, you must fill out and submit the Statement of Change of Registered Office or Registered Agent form to the Secretary of State. It's a simple process.
But, as a business owner, you must comply with state regulations and set your company up for success; therefore, choosing a registered agent service is best to ensure your business remains compliant with North Carolina state laws.
To help you narrow it down, we compiled the Best Registered Agent Services in North Carolina that you can use to protect your business and find a reliable and trustworthy registered agent for your business needs.