How To Change a Registered Agent In Indiana? (Full Guide)
As an Indiana business owner, it's crucial to understand the process if you need to switch your registered agent.
This involves informing your current agent, submitting the necessary documents to the Indiana Secretary of State, and selecting a new agent.
After years of experience in the industry, we have gathered all the necessary steps and information to change your registered agent in Indiana efficiently.
- To update or change your Indiana registered agent, you must notify your current agent, choose a new agent, and file the required paperwork with the Indiana Secretary of State by following a specific process.
- In Indiana, a registered agent can be someone who lives there or a business allowed to do business in the state.
- To update your registered agent in Indiana, you can use a professional registered agent service or complete the process online or by mail.
Who Can Be An Indiana Registered Agent?
Indiana registered agents are residents of the state or a business entity authorized to do business in Indiana.
The registered agent must:
- Have a physical street address in Indiana.
- Be available to receive legal documents and official correspondence on their behalf during regular business hours.
The registered agent's name and address must be included in the business's formation documents, such as the Articles of Incorporation or the Certificate of Organization. They must be kept up-to-date with the Indiana Secretary of State.
Choosing a reliable Indiana registered agent who can promptly and accurately forward any legal notices or other necessary documents to your business is essential.
In some cases, not all registered agents are authorized to serve in every state. Some companies prefer to have the same registered agent across multiple states instead of separate ones.
How To Change A Registered Agent In Indiana?
To change a registered agent in Indiana, you must follow a specific process. First, you must notify your current LLC registered agent in writing of the change.
After that, you must choose a new registered agent who meets the criteria set by the Indiana Secretary of State.
Once you have selected a new registered agent, you must file a Change of Registered Agent form with the Indiana Secretary of State.
This form can be filed online through the Indiana Business Services Division website or by mail. A filing fee is associated with changing your registered agent in Indiana, which can be paid online or by mail.
After the Indiana Secretary of State approves your Change of Registered Agent form, you must update your business records, including your Articles of Incorporation or Certificate of Organization, to reflect the change.
It's important to notify any relevant parties, such as your business partners, vendors, or clients, of the change in your registered agent.
There are three ways to update your registered agent in Indiana:
- Using a professional registered agent service
- Applying online
- Sending the necessary documents through the mail
1. Changing Your Registered Agent Using A Professional Service
Using a professional service is one way to update your Indiana registered agent. Many companies specialize in providing registered agent services, and they can help you with the entire process.
These services typically charge a fee, but they can save you time and ensure that everything is filed correctly.
The Indiana registered agent service will handle all aspects of the change, including:
- notifying your current registered agent
- filing the necessary paperwork with the Indiana Secretary of State
- appointing a new registered agent
2. Changing Your Registered Agent Online
The following are the required steps for this online filing process:
- Log in to your INBiz account
- Select "Change of Registered Agent/Office" under "Online Services" in the top menu
- Select your business and complete the form
3. Changing Your Registered Agent by Mail
To submit a Statement of Change form via mail, you should download Form 56367 from the Indiana Secretary of State website and complete it before sending it in. 
Depending on the number of requests, it may take a few business days to receive a response about mailed documents.
Other Ways To Consider
If you need to change or update your registered agent for your Indiana business, you can do it while filing your biennial Business Entity Report.
This is the easiest way to change, but you can only do it during the filing period.
Another way to update or change your registered agent in Indiana is by submitting an Indiana Articles of Amendment to either Article of Organization or Articles of Incorporation.
Remember that this paperwork incurs a fee of $30, which is the most expensive option available.
- How to Open an LLC in Indiana
- Best LLC Formation Services in Indiana
- Filing an Annual Report for an LLC in Indiana
How Much Does It Cost To Change Your Registered Agent In Indiana?
It costs around $20 to change your registered agent in Indiana. It's essential to check with the Indiana Secretary of State for the most up-to-date fee information.
Can I Be My Own Indiana Registered Agent?
Yes, you can be your own registered agent in Indiana if you meet the Indiana Secretary of State criteria.
Can I Change Registered Agents Online In Indiana?
Yes, you can change registered agents online in Indiana. The Indiana Business Services Division website allows you to file a Change of Registered Agent form online.
How Long Does It Take The State To Process And Complete The Change Of Registered Agent In Indiana?
The amount of time it takes the state to process and complete the change of registered agent in Indiana is around 5-7 business days for the Indiana Secretary of State to process your Change of Registered Agent form.
Need Help Changing Your Registered Agent in Indiana?
If you need to update your registered agent in Indiana, there are options to simplify the process. You can use a professional service or complete it by mail or online. If you require assistance, don't hesitate to seek guidance.
There are many professional registered agent services in Indiana that can handle this process for you and ensure that your business stays compliant and on the path to success.