How To Change A Registered Agent In Nebraska? (Guide)
In Nebraska, you must file a "Statement of Change of Designated Office, Registered Agent, and Registered Agent's Address" to update your LLC's information, such as Registered Agent or Designated Office. This process is different from other states that allow updates through the Annual Report.
As someone who has been in the industry for years, I have gathered all the relevant information you will need to update the information related to your Nebraska LLC.
- To change a registered agent in Nebraska, you must file a Statement of Change of Registered Agent with the Nebraska Secretary of State.
- The process can be completed by a professional service, online, or by mail, with online submissions typically processed in 1-2 business days.
- Changing a registered agent in Nebraska incurs a fee, costing $25 for online changes and $30 if done by mail.
- Using a professional service seems like a convenient option for those unfamiliar with the process.
How To Change Your Nebraska Registered Agent?
To update your registered agent in Nebraska, you must download and fill out a form called "Statement of Change of Registered Office, Registered Agent, or Registered Agent Address." You can then submit this form through an online portal or by mailing it in .
To file online or by mail, you must complete a Change of Registered Agent form in PDF format on the Secretary of State website. The specific form you need depends on the type of Nebraska business entity you have:
- Nebraska Domestic Corporation
- Nebraska Foreign Corporation
- Nebraska Domestic Limited Liability Company (LLC)
- Nebraska Foreign LLC
- Nebraska Domestic Nonprofit
- Nebraska Foreign Nonprofit
To begin quickly and easily, let's start with the online option. Just follow these instructions, and you'll be finished in no time.
1. Changing Your Registered Agent Online
To change your Registered Agent online, you'll need to visit the Nebraska Secretary of State's website and follow these steps:
- Go to the Secretary of State's Forms and Fees page.
- Find the form for changing agents or submitting a statement of change for your specific type of business (e.g., limited liability company, corporation, nonprofit) by visiting the Forms and Fee Information Page.
- Click the "eDelivery" icon on the right side of the Statement of Change form.
- To use the eDelivery service often, you can make a subscriber login on the next page. Alternatively, you may proceed as a non-subscriber.
- Choose "filing for an existing entity/trade name" and provide your Secretary of State Business Services Account Number.
- To upload your completed document, please use the instructions provided.
The fee to change is $25 . The state will process your Statement of Change within 1-2 business days.
Once processed, you will receive a stamped and approved copy of your Statement of Change and a receipt from the state via mail. If you choose to file online, these documents will be emailed to you.
2. Changing Your Registered Agent By Mail
To submit a change form by mail, please follow these steps:
- Download the appropriate form from the Nebraska Secretary of State website.
- Fill out the downloaded form accordingly.
- If you are a corporation or nonprofit, have your new agents sign their consent on the form.
- Submit the completed form along with the $30 fee.
3. Changing Your Registered Agent Using A Professional Service
If you want to change your LLC's registered agent in Nebraska, you can use a professional registered agent service to simplify the process.
Your LLC registered agent is crucial to your business's compliance strategy as they receive legal documents and notices on your behalf. To make the change, follow these steps.
If you want to substitute your registered agent in Nebraska, consider using a trustworthy registered agent service. Most services provide a registered agent change service that manages your process.
This can be useful if you are unfamiliar with the process or worried about errors that could slow down the change.
To switch your registered agent through a professional service, you must provide information about your business and current registered agent.
This includes your:
- Business name
- Your current registered agent's name and address
- Your new registered agent's name and address
The service will then file the necessary paperwork with the Nebraska Secretary of State's office on your behalf.
After filing the paperwork, the new registered agent will be designated and will start receiving legal documents and important notices for you.
Consider seeking help from a good Nebraska registered agent service if you have queries or apprehensions regarding this change. They can assist you throughout the process.
Who Can Be A Nebraska Registered Agent?
Nebraska registered agents can be individuals or business entities that reside in Nebraska. According to the Secretary of State, to carry out the registered agent duties, a Nebraska registered agent must have the following:
- A physical street address in the state.
- A domestic or foreign business entity with a physical Nebraska address is allowed to do business in Nebraska.
- A limited liability company (LLC) organized under Nebraska law has a physical street address.
- An LLP, L.P., or LLLP is organized under Nebraska law and has a physical street address.
- A foreign limited liability company (LLC) is authorized to do business in Nebraska and has a physical street address.
It's important to note that the designated registered agent must have a registered office address in Nebraska, not just a P.O. box or mailbox service.
Additionally, the Nebraska registered agent role includes being available during regular business hours to receive legal documents and other important mail on behalf of the business.
How Much Does It Cost To Change Your Registered Agent In Nebraska?
The cost to change your registered agent in Nebraska can vary depending on your chosen method. If you decide to change it online, it will cost you $25, but if you do it by mail, it will cost $30.
What Is The Timeframe For The State To Finish Processing And Finalizing The Change Of Registered Agent In Nebraska?
The timeframe for the state to finish processing and finalizing the change of registered agent in Nebraska is 2-3 days. Expedited processing is not available at Nebraska Secretary of State.
Can I Be My Own Registered Agent?
Yes, you can be your own registered agent for your Nebraska business. However, you must be able to meet the requirements provided by the Secretary of State to carry out registered agent responsibilities.
Do You Want To Change Your Nebraska Registered Agent?
Changing your Nebraska LLC's registered agent is a simple process that can be completed with the help of a professional service or on your own.
Regardless of how you change your Nebraska registered agent, it's important to maintain compliance with state laws and ensure that your business receives essential information on time.
If you are unsatisfied with your current service, there are several professional registered agent services in Nebraska that can help your business.