How To Change Registered Agent in Michigan (3 Easy Ways)

Delina Chantel Yasmeh
Published by Delina Chantel Yasmeh | Author
Last updated: April 3, 2024
We meticulously research and verify the information presented in our articles. By consulting reliable sources and ensuring factual accuracy, we are committed to providing readers with well-informed, trustworthy content.

As an entrepreneur in Michigan who wants to update their new registered agent information with the Secretary of State, you should be aware of the correct documents to file.

In order to complete the procedure, I consulted with experienced business experts and legal advisors in the state of Michigan.

To further answer your query, I reached out to the Michigan Secretary of State and navigated the platform to determine the correct amendment documents and procedure.

Quick Summary

  • To change your Michigan registered agent, complete and submit a Certificate of Change of Registered Office/Agent with the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs Corporations.
  • It costs $5 for domestic LLCs to change their Michigan registered agents and $25 for foreign entities.
  • Given Michigan's 22.0% first-year business failure rate, keeping registered agent information updated is essential for avoiding crucial legal oversights.
  • In my opinion, diligently updating your registered agent information is a fundamental yet often overlooked aspect of maintaining a healthy business in Michigan.

How To Change Your Michigan Registered Agent?

To change your Michigan registered agent, you must complete and submit a Certificate of Change of Registered Office/Agent (form CSCL/CD-520) with the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs Corporations.

Suppose you're changing a resident agent for a foreign entity. In that case, you'll need to complete an Amended Application for Certificate of Authority CSCL/CD 762 and update the details of your new registered agent [1].

You can complete the process online, by mail, in person, or through a professional service.

Here's how.

1. Changing Your Registered Agent Using a Professional Service

Using a professional service to change registered agent

If you're among the 908,007 small business owners, representing 99.6% of Michigan businesses, and are a busy entrepreneur, you can hire a professional service to file the registered agent paperwork and change your Michigan resident agent.

  • Choose a Professional Service: Research and select a professional service that specializes in handling business filings in Michigan.
  • Pricing: The cost for changing your Registered Agent through a professional service typically ranges from $50 to $150. This fee is in addition to the state filing fee of $25 in Michigan.
  • Create an Online Account: Visit the website of the professional service you've chosen and create an online account. This account will allow you to access their services and manage your documents.
  • Fill Out the Form: The professional service will provide a pre-populated "Certificate of Change of Registered Office/Agent" form. You will need to edit this form with your business details. The information typically required includes:
    • Your business name.
    • The current Registered Agent’s information.
    • The new Registered Agent’s information.
    • An authorization signature from a company officer.
  • Submit Documentation: Once you have completed the form, the professional service will review it for accuracy and completeness. They will then submit the document electronically or via mail to the Michigan Corporations Division.
  • Confirmation and Record Update: After submission, the professional service will notify you, typically via email, once the Michigan Corporations Division has approved the change.
  • Documentation Needed: To complete this process, you should have the following documentation ready:
    • The legal name of your business as registered in Michigan.
    • Details of your current Registered Agent (name and address).
    • Details of the new Registered Agent (name, address, and consent to act as an agent).
    • Authorization from a company officer to make this change.

"Don’t try to do everything by yourself, but try to connect with people and resources. Having that discipline and perseverance is really important."

- Chieu Cao, Co-founder of Perkbox.

2. Changing Your Registered Agent Online

You can change a resident agent online on the SOS website.

First, you must create your MiLogin online account with your email address and password.

Once your credentials are approved, you can sign in to access the different online business services.

Locate the Certificate of Change of Registered Office/Agent, fill out the details of your new Michigan registered agent, and complete the process by paying the state filing fee using a credit card.It costs $5 to file the amendment for domestic LLCs and $25 for foreign entities in Michigan. You can pay for expedited processing if your amendment request is approved faster.

3. Changing Your Registered Agent by Mail or In-Person

Using a laptop to change registered agent by mail

Changing a Michigan registered agent service by mail or In-Person is another alternative to submitting a physical paper form of the Certificate of Change of Registered Agent [2].

  • Download the Form: Visit the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs website to download the "Certificate of Change of Registered Agent" form.
  • Fill Out the Form: Complete the form with the required information. For a domestic LLC, include:
    • Current name of the limited liability company.
    • Business entity ID number.
    • Name and office location of the current LLC resident agent.
    • Michigan street address of the current resident agent.
    • Name and office/mailing address of the new Michigan resident agent.
    • Official signature of the filer and their phone number.
    • For a foreign LLC, also include the date the LLC was authorized to transact business in Michigan.
  • Attach Filing Fee: The standard filing fee for changing a Registered Agent in Michigan is generally around $25. Attach this fee as a money order or check with your submission.
  • Mail Submission: Send the completed form along with the filing fee to:

Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs
Corporations, Securities & Commercial Licensing Bureau
Corporations Division
P.O. Box 30054
Lansing, MI 48909

  • In-person submissions: Alternatively, submit the form and fee in person at:

2407 N Grand River Ave
Lansing, MI 48906
Telephone: (517) 241-6470

  • Payment Methods for In-Person: If submitting in person, you can pay the processing fees via Visa, American Express, MasterCard, Discover, check, or money order.

Expedited Service Options offers several options for an additional fee:

  • $100 for 24-hour delivery.
  • $200 for same-day delivery.
  • $500 for a two-hour delivery.
  • $1000 for a one-hour delivery.

To use expedited service, complete a separate CSCL/CD-272 form for each document and include the additional expedited service fee along with the standard filing fee.

Who Can Be A Michigan Registered Agent?

Group of people having a meeting

An Individual or business entity can be a Michigan registered agent if they meet the state's requirements.

A Michigan resident agent is a third-party responsible for handling all correspondence with the Secretary of State and other legal documents on behalf of an LLC.

To be a resident agent in Michigan, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Must have a physical Michigan address
  • Must be authorized to transact business in Michigan
  • Must be available throughout normal business hours to receive service of process
  • Must be of legal age (18 years or older)


What if I Don’t Change My Registered Agent When Required?

Failing to maintain a current Registered Agent can lead to your business falling out of good standing with the state, potentially leading to administrative dissolution.

Can I Be My Own Registered Agent in Michigan?

Yes, you can be your own registered agent in Michigan if you are of legal age, have a Michigan resident address, and are available during regular business hours to handle legal papers.



About The Author

Delina Chantel Yasmeh, J.D./Tax LL.M, specializes in Mergers and Acquisitions at Deloitte and PwC, managing billion-dollar transactions. Educated in Accountancy at California State University and holding advanced degrees from Loyola Law School, she is highly skilled in tax law. Delina also dedicates time to pro bono work for women and children.
Learn more about our editorial policy
Growth & Transition Advisor
LJ Viveros has 40 years of experience in founding and scaling businesses, including a significant sale to Logitech. He has led Market Solutions LLC since 1999, focusing on strategic transitions for global brands. A graduate of Saint Mary’s College in Communications, LJ is also a distinguished Matsushita Executive alumnus.
Learn more about our editorial policy

You May Also Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *