How To Change a Registered Agent In Georgia? (Full Guide)
As owners of Limited Liability Companies (LLCs), changing your registered agent in Georgia is simple.
To update your information, fill out and submit an Amended Annual Registration form to the Georgia Secretary of State's Corporations Division.
After years of experience in the industry, we have gathered all the relevant information needed to make the changes independently.
- To change a registered agent in Georgia, submit an Amended Annual Registration form to the Georgia Secretary of State's Corporations Division.
- A Georgia registered agent must be a resident of the state or a corporation authorized to do business there, with a physical address for receiving legal documents.
- The process of changing registered agents in Georgia typically takes between 7 to 10 business days.
- Ensuring the registered agent meets Georgia's requirements is crucial for maintaining compliance and avoiding potential business disruptions.
How To Change Your Registered Agent In Georgia?
To change your LLC registered agent in Georgia, you'll need to choose a new one who meets the state's requirements, obtain written consent from the new LLC registered agent, and prepare and submit an Amended Annual Registration form to the Georgia Corporations Division.
To ensure your records are current with the Georgia Secretary of State, please file your Annual Registration through the mail, in person, or online.
I will provide further details for each method.
1. Changing Your Registered Agent Using a Professional Service
Changing your registered agent using a professional registered agent service in Georgia is a convenient and efficient option.
Here are the steps to change your registered agent in Georgia using a professional service:
- Choosing a Registered Agent Service Provider: Research to find a reputable service offering compliance with Georgia state requirements.
- Signing Up for the Service: Complete the registration process with the chosen service, which might involve a fee that varies by provider.
- Completing Necessary Forms: Fill out the Amended Annual Registration form or any other required documents specified by the service.
- Submitting the Forms: You need to pay the state fees which is $20 if you file online. The professional service will proceed to submit the forms on your behalf.
- Notifying Your Old Registered Agent: This is a courtesy step and it's important for a smooth transition.
2. Changing Your Registered Agent Online
In case you have already filed for annual registration, the agent information can be changed by submitting an amended annual registration.
To finish and send an Amended Annual Registration online on the Georgia Corporations Division website, you need to follow these steps:
- To access your Georgia eCorp online account, visit the Georgia Corporations Division website and log in there.
- File your amended annual registration online and choose "File Annual Registration."
- Please find and select your business, fill out the form, and include payment information and the new registered agent information.
- Pay the state fee of $20 by credit card.
Please remember that changing your registered agent requires timely and accurate completion to avoid negative consequences, like losing your ability to conduct business in Georgia.
3. Changing Your Registered Agent by Mail or In-Person
Changing a registered agent in Georgia by mail or in-person involves a few specific steps:
- Determine the Correct Form for Your Business Type: First, visit the Georgia Division of Corporations website to download the appropriate form for changing your registered agent, depending on your company structure.
- Form CD 920 – Limited Liability Company (LLC)
- Form CD 900 – Corporation
- Form CD 910 – Limited Partnership (L.P.) or Limited Liability Partnership (LLP)
- Complete the Form: Fill out the selected form with all the required information, including the name of your company, the current registered agent information, the new registered agent information, and any other required details specific to your business type.
- Attach the Required Fee: The fee for submitting an Amended Annual Registration by mail or in-person is $30. Payment can be made by check or money order payable to the "Secretary of State."
- Submit Your Form and Payment: Once you have completed the form and attached the correct fee, you can submit everything by mail or in person.
- By Mail: Send your completed form and payment to the address provided on the form or the Georgia Secretary of State's office.
- In-Person: If you prefer, you can deliver your form and payment in person to the office of the Secretary of State.
- Confirmation: Once processed, you should receive a confirmation. It's a good idea to follow up if you don't receive confirmation within a few weeks of submission.
Who Can Be A Georgia Registered Agent?
Georgia registered agents are residents of Georgia or a corporation authorized to do business in Georgia.
Here is what you need to become a registered agent:
- An individual who is a resident of Georgia can be a registered agent.
- The individual must have a registered office address in Georgia (not a P.O. Box) where they can receive legal and official documents on behalf of the business.
- The individual must be available during regular business hours to receive these documents.
- The Georgia corporation must have a physical street address for an LLC in Georgia to receive and send legal documents on behalf of the LLC.
- Registered agents must consent to serve in this role and agree to receive legal and official documents on behalf of the business.
Note that you can become your own registered agent; however, you must fit the criteria mentioned above.
Sometimes, not all registered agents are authorized to act as registered agents in every state, which means that some companies prefer to have the same registered agent for all states instead of having multiple separate agents.
Why Is a Registered Agent Important?
A registered agent is important for a business because they act as the official point of contact between the company and the state.
Are There Expedited Options For Changing A Registered Agent In Georgia?
Yes, for an additional $50, you can have the change processed within two business days
Can A Business Change Its Registered Agent Any Time In Georgia?
Yes, businesses can change their registered agent at any time by filing the required paperwork and paying the fee.
Want To Change Your Registered Agent?
While changing registered agents may seem daunting, it can be quickly done by following the steps outlined in this article.
Whether you change your registered agent by mail or using a professional service, it's essential to ensure the process is completed correctly to avoid negative consequences for your business.
If you are looking for a new registered agent for your business, there are numerous professional registered agent services that will make your day-to-day easier.