How to Look up an LLC in Pennsylvania? (The Complete Guide)
If you intend to start a company in Pennsylvania or simply seeking a specific limited liability company, product, or service, you can conduct a business name search.
With years of practice as a business consultant for LLCs in different states, I have catered to multiple clients regarding their concerns about limited liability companies.
I collaborated with our team of legal advisors to provide a comprehensive guide on how to conduct a Pennsylvania LLC name search and offer some tips to make the process easier.
- To conduct a Pennsylvania LLC name search, you can use the business name or business entity ID/filing number.
- The information that will be made available to you includes the company name, registered agent, business ID, status, and business type.
- The primary reason to conduct a business entity search is to verify the availability of your preferred Pennsylvania LLC name.
How Do I Lookup an LLC in Pennsylvania?
You can look up an LLC in Pennsylvania by using the corporation search feature on the Pennsylvania Bureau of Corporations and Charitable Organizations website under the Pennsylvania Department of State website .
Here are the step-by-step instructions when doing a Pennsylvania LLC name search:
- Visit the Department of State website and select the 'Business Entities' option from the top menu.
- On this page, there is a search box where you can enter the business name of the Pennsylvania LLC you are looking for.
The Pennsylvania business name search results will return a list of matching Pennsylvania existing businesses, along with their registration number and status.
Pennsylvania Search Options
There are several Pennsylvania search options you can use to conduct a business entity search and obtain information.
1. Search By Business Name
The most straightforward way to conduct a Pennsylvania business entity search is by using the name of the LLC. Visit the Secretary of State website and input the business name you want to locate.
2. Search By Business Entity ID/Filing Number
You can search a Pennsylvania LLC by business entity ID/filing number if the information is available to you. Go to the Secretary of State site and enter the business entity ID/filing number.
3. Contact the County Recorder’s Office
You can visit the county where the LLC is located to do a Pennsylvania business search.
The county recorder’s office keeps records of registered LLCs and the information you need about the company.
To find out which county an LLC is registered in, you can contact the Pennsylvania Department of State or look up the information online.
After you have completed the business entity search, you can purchase additional certified documents to keep records.
Information for Pennsylvania LLC Look Up
Information for a Pennsylvania LLC lookup will be made available to you as long as you have the correct details.
Some of the information you will be able to find will include:
- Business entity name - the name of the business search field
- Registration number - A unique identifier assigned to an LLC by the state of Pennsylvania
- Registered Agent in Pennsylvania - The person responsible for receiving legal documents on behalf of the LLC.
- Address - where your business will be located and where customers can come to find you
If you want to view more detailed information about a Pennsylvania LLC or a business, you can order a certified copy of the LLC's formation documents from the Pennsylvania Department of State.
These documents will provide you with information such as the names and addresses of the LLC's members and managers.
Reasons to Look up an LLC in Pennsylvania
The primary reason to look up an LLC in Pennsylvania is to confirm the availability of your preferred business name.
It also allows you to make sure that your chosen LLC name is not confusingly similar to an existing business registered in the state or is part of a list of restricted names.
Examples of names that will be categorized as confusingly similar are:
- The use of a different corporate designator
- The use of the plural
- The use of an article, such as “a” or “the”
- The use of a geographic designator after the company name
- The use of a numerical or spelled number after the company name
Examples of names that will be categorized as restricted similar are:
- Governmental names
- Banking names
- Insurance names
- Educational names
- Professional names
- Public utility names
You can also lookup an LLC in Pennsylvania to collaborate and do business with a company. You can verify if the business is legally registered, active, and in good standing with the state.
Finally, you can conduct a Pennsylvania LLC name search simply to look for a particular service or product.
- Dissolve an LLC in Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania Top LLC Formation Services
- How Much Is the Cost of an LLC in Pennsylvania
How Do I Know If My Pennsylvania LLC Is Active?
To know if your Pennsylvania LLC is active, visit the Pennsylvania Department of State's Business Entity Search website and enter the LLC's name. The search results will show if the company is active, inactive, or dissolved.
How Do I Find Out If A Company Is Registered In Pennsylvania?
To find out if a company is registered in Pennsylvania, you can go to the Department of State's website and search for the company by name. If the company is registered, the name will appear on the database.
Does Pennsylvania Require A Registered Agent For An LLC?
Pennsylvania requires a registered agent for an LLC. The agent is the person or business that agrees to receive legal documents on behalf of the LLC. They must have a physical address in Pennsylvania and be available during business hours.
Looking Up an LLC in Pennsylvania
Looking up an LLC in Pennsylvania can be accomplished if you have the right resources and information. Simply follow the steps outlined above.
Decide what type of information you are looking for and then choose the best search method based on that information.
Once you have acquired a name, you can formally start an LLC in Pennsylvania.