Last updated: May 28, 2023

Changing your Washington registered agent is a process that requires taking specific steps and following state regulations that will ensure your request gets approved.

If you have chosen the wrong registered agent service and you’re looking for a change, we can help you.

We teamed up with our Washington LLC experts to help you learn how to change your registered agent easily.

After thoroughly researching Washington Secretary of State requirements, we have gathered all the necessary information in one place.

Quick Summary

  • You can change your registered agent by filing a Statement of Change with the Secretary of State.
  • You can change your registered agent in person, by mail, by fax, or online.
  • An individual or business can be a registered agent in Washington. They just need to be 18 years or older, have a physical address in the state, and be available during regular business hours.

How To Change Registered Agent In Washington?

Checking files from Washington Registered Agents

To change your registered agent with the Washington Secretary of State, you must fill out and file a statement of change with the Corporation Division.

This Statement of Change for your registered agent can be submitted by mail, fax, in person, or online.

You must pay a $20 filing fee if you file by fax or online. If you mail in your Statement Of Change registered agent form, there is no fee.

Here is a step-by-step guide to changing your registered agent.

1. Choose A New Washington Registered Agent

The first step is to choose a new LLC registered agent.

You can then use your online account with the state to find the forms you need to file.

2. File Your Statement Of Change

To change your registered agent in Washington, you will need to file a Statement of Change with the Washington Secretary of State Corporations and Charities Division either with your online account, by mail, by fax, or in person.

3. Processing

Processing time to change your registered agent services can take up to a month for paper filing.

Changing your registered agent online is usually processed within a few days.

When filing by paper, the Corporations and Charities Division will send you a certified copy of the registered agent form to let you know it has been processed.

1. Changing Your Registered Agent Using A Professional Service

You can change a registered agent using a professional service by choosing that service as your new agent and filing your Statement of Change with the Secretary of State.

Often the professional service can file the change form, saving you time and effort.

2. Changing Your Registered Agent Online

You can change your Washington registered agent online with your online account by visiting the Secretary of State’s website and filing a statement of change.

You will need to enter your email address and your Unified Business Identifier [1].

You will go to the Corporation and Charities division website at Corporations and Charities System ( and log in with your account or create one.

Once you log in, you can fill out a statement of change form with the name of your business, your UBI, the name and address of your current registered agent, and the name and address of your new registered agent.

3. Changing Your Registered Agent By Mail

You can change your registered agent by mail by filling out a Statement of Change registered agent form with the intent to “change the registered agent “to the Washington State Secretary.

The process of paper filing can take up to a month.

Who Can Be A Washington Registered Agent?

Agreement with a businessman

A Washington registered agent can be an individual or business with a physical address in the state who is available during regular business hours.

An individual can become a  registered agent in Washington if they are 18 years or older and willing to complete the registered agent paperwork [2].

Washington registered agents receive paperwork, including an annual report, online filings, service of process, and more on behalf of the business.

How Can I Expedite My Statement Of Change Form Processing?

Holding important files inside office

You can expedite your Statement of Change by writing expedite on the envelope and checking the expedite box on the filing form.

You need to include an additional $50 fee for expediting your filing.

Online filings are automatically expedited for no charge.


Does My Registered Agent Have To Consent To Be Appointed?

Yes, your registered agent has to consent to be appointed. Any individual or business you choose has to state that they consent to be your business’s registered agent.

Can I Be My Own Registered Agent In Washington?

Yes, you can be your own registered agent in Washington as long as you meet the requirements set by the state.

Why Do I Need A Registered Agent In Washington?

You need a registered agent in Washington because the state requires it by law. All registered businesses need a registered agent; if you don’t appoint one, the state will reject your business filing.

Do You Want To Change Your Washington Registered Agent?

If you’re looking to change your Washington registered agent, you need to choose any individual 18 years old or over or any business that can be available during regular business hours.

Changing your registered agent in Washington can be done online, by mail, fax, or in person.

These Washington registered agent services can help you ensure the process is done quickly and correctly.



About The Author

You May Also Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *