How To Change A Registered Agent In Montana? (Guide)
Changing your registered agent in Montana may seem daunting, but it is relatively straightforward if you follow the proper steps.
Not having registered agent coverage can lead to significant penalties, so it is better to update changes immediately.
After years of experience in the industry, I have created a guide for changing your registered agent in Montana, so you can ensure your business complies with state regulations.
- To change your Montana LLC's registered agent, you can choose a new agent who meets state requirements, notify your current registered agent, and file a Statement of Change of Registered Agent and Registered Office with the Montana Secretary of State's office.
- You can change your Montana registered agent using a professional registered agent service, filing online, or filing it in your Annual Report.
- The cost to change a registered agent in Montana can vary depending on your chosen method and whether you use a trustworthy registered agent service.
Who Can Be A Montana Registered Agent?
Montana registered agents can be individuals or business entities designated to receive legal documents and other important information on behalf of a business entity.
According to state law, a registered agent must be a resident of Montana or a corporation authorized to do business in the state.
Additionally, a reliable registered agent must have the following:
- A physical street address in Montana, not just a P.O. Box or virtual office
- Be available during regular business hours to accept legal documents and other important correspondence on behalf of the business.
While a business owner can take on the Montana registered agent role and act out all the registered agent responsibilities, many choose to hire a designated registered agent service to ensure compliance with state regulations and to maintain privacy.
How To Change Your Montana Registered Agent?
To change your Montana registered agent, choose a new one, notify the current agent, and file a Statement of Change of Registered Agent and Registered Office with the Montana Secretary of State's office.
If you need to change your registered agent in Montana, you can do so by following these simple steps:
- Choose a new LLC registered agent
- Notify your current registered agent
- File a Statement of Change of Registered Agent and Registered Office
- Wait for confirmation
- Update your business records to reflect the change in registered agent, such as updating your Articles of Organization or Articles of Incorporation.
There are several ways to change your registered agent in Montana, including using a registered agent service, filing online, or filing it with your Annual Report. Let me explain each method in detail.
1. Changing Your Registered Agent Using a Professional Service
To change your registered agent using a professional service, you will typically need to follow these steps:
- Choose a registered agent service
- Sign up for the service
- Notify your current registered agent
- Provide the necessary information to the registered agent service
- Wait for confirmation
Once the state processes your resignation, you will retain registered agent duties for 31 days unless your LLC finds a replacement before that period.
A professional registered agent service can be a convenient and cost-effective way to change your agent in Montana.
Still, choosing a reputable and reliable service is essential to ensure that your business remains compliant with state regulations.
2. Changing Your Registered Agent Online
To submit the form, you must do it online, as the Secretary of State doesn't accept paper forms anymore.
Begin by going to the Online Business Filing System and creating an account if you haven't already .
Then, locate the relevant form and follow the instructions on the screen. The best part is that filing this form is completely free.
3. Changing Your Registered Agent With Your Annual Report
Montana LLCs must submit an LLC Annual Report by April 15th of every year. If you require a new registered agent between January 1st and April 15th, you can update your registered agent information on the Report to save paperwork.
You can file an LLC Annual Report in Montana using the Online Business Filing System and pay a fee of $35 at the end of the process with a card.
Please note that only individuals authorized by your company can file documents.
Upon forming a Montana business, the Secretary of State will provide an Activation Code specific to your company. This code will authorize your business to file documents with the SOS.
- How to Create an LLC in Montana
- Best LLC Formation Services in Montana
- How Much Does an LLC Cost in Montana
How Much Does It Cost To Change A Registered Agent In Montana?
The cost to change a registered agent in Montana can vary depending on your chosen method. If you use a professional registered agent service, the cost may range between $50 and $300 annually. However, if you decide to be your registered agent in Montana, you can change your agent without incurring any extra fees.
Can I Be My Own Registered Agent In Montana?
Yes, you can be your own registered agent in Montana if you meet the state's requirements for registered agents.
What Is The Time Frame For Montana State To Process And Finalize The Change Of Registered Agent?
The timeframe for Montana state to process and finalize the change of registered agent depends on the method used. Processing time for standard requests is between 3 to 7 business days. However, processing time may extend up to 10 days in April when Annual Reports are due.
Do You Want to Change Your Montana Registered Agent?
Changing your Montana registered agent is a simple process that requires you to follow a few key steps.
Whether you handle the process on your own or use a valid registered agent service, it is crucial to ensure that you meet the state's requirements for registered agents and provide accurate and up-to-date information to avoid complications or delays.
These are some of the best registered agent services in Montana you can reach out to and ensure your business continues working succesfully.