Swyft Filings vs LegalZoom (2024 Comparison & Review)
When searching for an online legal service to help launch your LLC, Swyft Filings and LegalZoom are two options to consider.
As a seasoned business consultant with over a decade of experience, I worked alongside online formation companies, and took an in-depth look at these two service providers.
In this Swyft Filings vs. LegalZoom review, we'll compare these companies' services, features, pricing plans, and customer service to help you decide which platform is best suited with your business.
At a Glance: Swyft Filings and LegalZoom
Swyft Filings was founded in 2015 by a reputable attorney. And since then, the business has serviced tens of thousands of clients in various commercial or legal matters and helped create their LLCs, Corporations, and Nonprofit companies.
LegalZoom is an online formation service founded in 2001 and has assisted over 2 million clients with business creation.
The company's primary line of expertise was online legal services before adding business formation to its platform.
1. Swyft Filings LLC Highlights
- Business formation services
- Custom corporate bylaws
- Custom banking resolution
- Electronic delivery of documents
2. LegalZoom LLC Highlights
- Preparation of your Articles of Organization
- Legal consultation
- Complete customer assistance
- Full online access to your formation documents
- Company website
3. How Swyft Filings and LegalZoom Stack Together
Swyft Filings is designed to make it easier for consumers to launch their business by automating the filing process.
For individuals who want to start a business properly, LegalZoom has a team of lawyers, tax experts, and other professionals to assist and guide the process.
Side-by-Side LLC Plan Comparisons
Both companies offer complete and thorough LLC formation plans, which include the following:
1. Basic Plan Comparison: Swyft Filings Basic Package vs LegalZoom Basic
- Swyft Filings’ Basic Plan ($0 + state fees): This LLC formation plan offers a comprehensive name check, preparation of Articles of Organization, legal document filing with the state, lifetime phone and email customer support, and a 10 business day turnaround .
- LegalZoom’s Basic ($0 + state fees): This plan includes articles of organization, name check service, a digital welcome packet, and a customizable website. When a client availed of the package, I found it helpful that the digital welcome packet contained a checklist to guide clients after their LLCs are formed.
2. Mid-Level Plan Comparison: Swyft Filings Standard vs LegalZoom Pro
- Swyft Filings’ Standard ($199 + state fees): The package includes the basic plan features plus business tax ID (EIN), custom corporate bylaws, banking resolution, custom organizational minutes, and swift electronic delivery of state documents with 5 days turnaround.
- LegalZoom’s Pro ($249 + state fees): Besides the basic plan, we were provided with a custom operating agreement, legal document templates, an EIN, and initial phone consultations with specialists on business insurance and taxes, which we found helpful .
3. Top-Level Plan Comparison: Sywft Filings Premium vs LegalZoom Premium
- Swyft Filings’ Premium ($299 + state fees): It includes all features of the standard plan plus access to 250+ customizable legal & business documents, free business website & domain from Squarespace, expedited FedEx shipping & tracking number, personalized founders kit to help stay compliant, ComplianceGuard, free statement of the filer, and 24/7 online access dashboard.
- LegalZoom’ Premium ($299 + state fees): The plan includes all features in the Pro package plus firsthand legal guidance, unlimited 30-minute attorney consultations, and 30 days amendment on your LLC formation documents. For new business owners that have no budget constraints, I recommend LegalZoom's top-level plan.
Registered Agent Service
Swyft Filings charges only $199/year for its registered agent service.
This plan employs compliance technology that provides the following:
- Timely notification about crucial deadlines
- Mail forwarding
For $249 per year, LegalZoom offers premium registered agent service to ensure your company receives:
- Important mail and legal notices
- Tax yearly report due dates notifications
- Unlimited cloud storage
I advise new business owners to employ a registered agent service on their first year of business to familiarize themselves with the responsibilities associated with the position.
Aside from the services and features included in their plans, here are additional offerings you can avail of:
1. DBA Registration
If you plan to use a different name for your business, use the DBA registration service form Swyft Filings and complete the process in ten minutes.
A colleague availed the service for $99 plus state fees. Swyft Filings will file the paperwork and receive the documents from the state.
With LegalZoom, a DBA registration package of $99 includes a preliminary name search, preparation and filing, publication of DBA name (if required by the state), and access to legal forms library .
2. Trademark Registration
Starting at $599, you can trademark your business name with LegalZoom and prevent another entity from claiming it. The package includes legal guidance from reputable trademark attorneys, research, and filing.
Swyft Filings partnered with Trademark Engine to provide the service for a base price of $99. If you prefer the assistance of a lawyer in the process, there's a fee of $399.
I found it useful that LegalZoom offers a bookkeeping service (LZ Books) to organize all financial transactions for small business owners. This service costs $9.99 per month for unlimited usage.
Swyft Filings partnered with Block Advisors to offer the same service. Their experts will handle your business finances, bookkeeping, payroll, and tax guidance.
You may need to visit the website to get a priced quote.
4. Foreign Qualification
When a client of mine wanted to expand their business to another state, they availed of SwyftFilings' Foreign Qualification package for $199 to operate legally.
LegalZoom offers a similar service for $229 which includes preparation, drafting, and filing of the required paperwork with the state agency .
5. Business License Report
Both Swyft Filings and LegalZoom offer a $99 comprehensive permits and licensing summary to help you determine which documents and registration papers are needed to make your business operational.
Swyft Filings has excellent customer service in all their top LLC formation packages. The website displays a phone number, email address, and live chat function, available Monday to Friday between 9 am to 6 pm CST.
We appreciate the comprehensive assistance section with a list of common FAQs on the website that helps you understand the LLC formation process.
LegalZoom can be contacted through phone and live chat, Monday to Friday from 5 am to 7 pm PST and on the weekends between 7 am to 4 pm PST.
We love the 'Customer Care' page on the LegalZoom website, which features several well-written FAQs that you can peruse for detailed information.
Is Swyft Filings Cheaper Than LegalZoom?
Swyft Filings is slightly cheaper than LegalZoom based on their mid-level plans, which cost $199 and $249 respectively.
Do Swyft Filings and LegalZoom Offer Ongoing Legal Services?
LegalZoom offers ongoing legal services through the prepaid business advisory plan for $469/year or $259 billed every 6 months, while Swyft Filings doesn’t.
Swyft Filings vs. LegalZoom: Our Recommendation
Swyft Filings and LegalZoom offer different legal services and efficient document filing for new businesses.
In my years in the industry, I learned that Swyft Filings is more concerned with business formation while LegalZoom offers both formation services and legal consultation.
As an alternative, we recommend hiring ZenBusiness if you want an authentic and affordable company with diverse features, an easy-to-use interface, and prompt customer service.
Besides the free basic LLC formation features, ZenBusiness offers faster-expedited filing speed, registered agent service, worry-free compliance, operating agreements, domain name, and customizable business websites.