Rocket Lawyer vs LegalZoom (2024 Test – Which is Better?)
As an entrepreneur, you may be indecisive when choosing a reputable LLC service provider to launch your company.
As a business consultant with a decade of experience, I had the opportunity to work with several LLC service providers.
To aid you in making an informed decision, I closely examined and compared two prominent LLC services: Rocket Lawyer and LegalZoom.
In this article, I’ll share my insights based on essential factors, including the services, features, pricing, and customer service.
At a Glance: Rocket Lawyer and LegalZoom
Founded in 2008, Rocket Lawyer is one of the most well-known online legal services, with nearly 30 million registered customers.
The business boasts of its ability to quickly link clients with any type of legal service they require, including business registration, registered agent services, and legal counsel.
LegalZoom is a company that has been at the forefront of the internet-based legal services sector for more than 20 years.
The company has helped over 4 million entrepreneurs and individuals form their businesses.
1. Rocket Lawyer LLC Highlights
- Business formation services
- Lawyer- on-call
- Unlimited legal documents
- Trademark registration services
- Registered agent services
2. LegalZoom LLC Highlights
- Business formation
- Business licenses
- Ongoing compliance
- Name check service
- A Wix website
3. How Rocket Lawyer and LegalZoom Stack Together
Both companies offer formation and legal services necessary to launch your limited liability company.
You may avail the services of Rocket Lawyer by subscribing to their website, while LegalZoom offers several packages suited to specific needs.
Side-by-Side LLC Plan Comparisons
Rocket Lawyer and LegalZoom offer the following plans:
1. Basic Plan: Rocket Lawyer Non-Member vs LegalZoom Basic Package
- Rocket Lawyer’s Non-Member ($99.99 + state fees): This plan is for those who want a one-time LLC formation package from Rocket Lawyer. It includes name verifications as well as, preparing and filing the articles of organization.
- LegalZoom’s Basic ($0 + state fees): The plan includes fililng of the business formation documents, a name check service, a Wix website, and a digital welcome packet. After availing the package, I found the digital welcome packet helpful for new business owners since it includes guidelines and checklist once the LLC is operational.
2. Mid-Level Plan Comparison: Rocket Lawyer RocketLegal vs LegalZoom Pro
- Rocket Lawyer’s RocketLegal Monthly Plan ($39.99 + state filing fees): You can access different business and legal services, including a lawyer- on-call, unlimited legal documents, Document Defense®, legal consultation, and RocketSign®.
- LegalZoom’s Pro ($249 + state fees): I recommended this plan to a client since it comes with everything in the basic package, an operating agreement, an EIN, access to 150+ legal document templates, and phone access to customer assistance.
3. Top-Level Plan Comparison: Rocket Lawyer RocketLegal+ vs LegalZoom Premium
- Rocket Lawyer’s RocketLegal+ ($239.88 + state filing fees): With this comprehensive annual package, you get LLC legal document templates, RocketSign, Document Defense, and attorney services. A client was offered half the price on professional services, including Rocket Tax™, Trademark registration, ongoing legal consultation, and registered agent services .
- LegalZoom’s Premium ($299 + state fees): Everything in the pro package is included in the premium plan, plus you get hands-on attorney guidance, unlimited 30-minute legal consultation, and free revisions to your limited liability company formation paperwork for the first 30 days .
Registered Agent Service
As for Rocket Lawyer, their registered agent services cost $249.99 per year, but you can avail of a 50% discount if you are a RocketLegal+ subscriber.
With this package, you get online legal documents access, privacy, quick email notifications, acceptance of the service of process, and an official contact point with the state.
The registered agent service offered by LegalZoom starts at $249 annually. The service includes mail alerts, franchise tax and annual report deadline notifications, privacy, and unlimited cloud storage.
Rocket Lawyer and LegalZoom offer the following additional services:
1. DBA Registration
A DBA is a name that a company uses other than its legal registered name.
LegalZoom offers DBA registration services for $99, which includes a preliminary name search, preparation and filing, name publication (if required by the state), and access to legal forms library.
With Rocket Lawyer, you can protect your name and brand by availing of their $99 DBA registration filing service. The package offers name availability check, corporate accounting, preparation and filing, and online document access .
2. Trademark Registration
A client of mine wanted to register a trademark. Since she is already a subscriber of RocketLegal+, she only paid $349.99, which is half the price offered to non-subscribers ($699.99).
The package includes legal consultation and guidance from a trademark attorney, availability check, as well as preparation and filing.
For $599, LegalZoom will register a business trademark handled by their corporate attorneys. The package includes trademark research and filing.
3. Annual Reports
Filing an annual report is necessary to maintain a status of good standing.
The annual report service offered by LegalZoom includes drafting and filing of the document, which costs $99 plus state filing fees. Rush option is available for $119 plus state fees.
RocketLawyer offers a Compliance Service package which includes initial and annual reports preparation and filing, as well as registered agent updates. To get a priced quote, you can register in their website.
4. Compliance Calendar
LegalZoom's compliance calendar service costs $69 per year and I find it beneficial since it allows me to manage and monitor the deadlines of all your important business filings.
Unfortunately, Rocket Lawyer does not offer this service.
5. Minutes Manager
For $99 annually, LegalZoom will help record your in-person meeting minutes. You also get other online legal services, including written consent, unlimited usage, and notices of future meetings.
Rocket Lawyer offers Make It Legal as its platform for providing your company with corporate minutes. You can customize, review, and simply sign the document .
If you have any concerns, you can seek counsel from Rocket Lawyer for affordable legal advice.
Customer service for Rocket Lawyer is available from 6 am to 6 pm PST from Monday to Friday. You can contact them over the phone or by sending on online message via their website.
The customer care agents we contacted were effective and showed genuine initiative to resolve our problems.
However, we disliked being put on hold for 10 minutes before a representative answered our call. Also, their service hours don't extend to the weekends.
The LegalZoom US-based support staff is accessible via phone, email, and live chat every day of the week, on weekdays from 5 am to 7 pm PST and weekends from 7 am to 4 pm PST.
In our experience, the support staff members were kind, helpful, and very knowledgeable, exactly the qualities we sought in a support team.
Here are the online reviews for LegalZoom and Rocket Lawyer LLC services.
Do Rocket Lawyer and LegalZoom Offer Refunds?
Rocket Lawyer and LegalZoom offer refunds. LegalZoom has a 60 days refund policy that they'll grant within 5 business days, while Rocket Lawyer's refund policy is provided if requested within 30 days.
Is Rocket Lawyer a Faster LLC Provider Than LegalZoom?
Rocket Lawyer is a faster LLC provider than LegalZoom because internal processing takes 2 business days. LegalZoom offers different turnarounds depending on the package you buy.
Which One Is a Better LLC Formation Service: Our Recommendation
Rocket Lawyer and LegalZoom offer dependable LLC services and access to legal consultations. However, the pricing of their mid-level and premium plans can be limiting for upcoming business owners.
I always advise my clients to fully consider all the services and features offered by a formation company to determine if it is the right platform for their business.
This is why we recommend hiring ZenBusiness, an affordable, reputable, and comprehensive online LLC service.
ZenBusiness offers worry-free compliance, quick processing times, business license report, tax consultations, and other online business services to get you started.