Rocket Lawyer vs Legalshield (2024 Ultimate Showdown)
If you're seeking legal assistance and considering online legal services, Rocket Lawyer and LegalShield are two popular options in the market.
These platforms offer a range of legal services to individuals and businesses, aiming to simplify the complex world of law and make it more accessible.
As a business consultant with a decade of practice, I had the opportunity to work with several online legal services.
Drawing from my extensive knowledge, I’ll share my insights on the features, pricing, and overall user experience of Rocket Lawyer and LegalShield.
At a Glance: Rocket Lawyer vs Legalshield
Founded in 2008, Rocket Lawyer aims to make legal assistance more accessible and affordable to individuals and businesses. To date, the company has helped nearly 30 million entrepreneurs from across the states.
LegalShield is an online legal service provider that offers a subscription-based model for individuals and businesses seeking legal assistance.
For decades, the company offers affordable legal representation for over 4.5 million individuals and 140,000 businesses across the states.
1. Rocket Lawyer LLC Highlights
- Legal document creation
- Attorney services and legal advice
- Legal assistance and support
- Subscription plans
2. LegalShield LLC Highlights
- Affordable legal consultations
- Document review and editing
- Identity theft protection
- Business legal services
3. How Rocket Lawyer and LegalShield Stack Together
Both companies provide basic LLC formation package and virtual legal services.
Rocket Lawyer offers legal consultation as an additional service, but is relatively costly. LegalShield includes legal services in their monthly package.
Rocket Lawyer offers a registered agent as an additional service, while LegalShield does not.
Side-by-Side LLC Plan Comparisons
Here are detailed descriptions of Rocket Lawyer’s and LegalShield’s formation packages:
1. Basic Plan: LegalShield Launch
- LegalShield’s Launch ($149 + state fees): LegalShield offers a one time fee of $149 to form your LLC, which includes an operating agreement, as well as business licenses and permits. When I availed the package, I learned that the plan includes free legal consultation for 3 months, which I found very helpful .
2. Mid-Level Plan Comparison: Rocket Lawyer RocketLegal vs LegalShield Monthly Plan
- Rocket Lawyer’s RocketLegal ($39.99/Monthly): I was offered a one-week free trial, which automatically converts to a monthly membership if not canceled. The first LLC creation is included at no additional cost with a premium membership. Subscribers also gain access to all other legal services offered by Rocket Lawyer.
- LegalShield’s Small Business Plan ($49/Monthly): Priced at $49 per month, with automatic monthly renewals at the same rate, this plan provides 24/7 access to LegalShield's services for covered scenarios, ensuring you have legal assistance when needed. The Monthly Plan includes legal consultation and advice, business licenses and permits, DBA, document reviews, and a 25% off on additional services [2, 3].
3. Top-Level Plan: Rocket Lawyer RocketLegal+
- Rocket Lawyer’s RocketLegal+ ($239.88 + state filing fees): The annual package include document templates, legal consultation, RocketSign, and Document Defense plus 50% off on professional services, including a registered agent, RocketTax, and trademark registration .
Registered Agent Service
Rocket Lawyer offers top registered agent services for $124.99 (members) and $249.99 annually (non-members). They act as a designated representative to receive legal and official documents on behalf of the business.
LegalShield charges $120 per year for a registered agent service. The package includes instant notifications of received documents, an online dashboard, and privacy.
Aside from basic LLC formation, Rocket Lawyer and LegalShield offer the following services:
1. Rocket Lawyer Professional Services
Rocket Lawyer provides the following additional professional services:
- Consult with a lawyer: $74.99 - $149.99 per 15 minutes
- Tax preparation and filing: $199.99 and up
- Trademarks: $349.99 - $699.99 + USPTO fees
2. LegalShield's Trial Defense
By utilizing LegalShield's trial defense services for $14.95 per month, there is a possibility of saving a substantial amount of money.
They provide comprehensive preparation and defense support if your business faces litigation.
3. DBA Registration
A business associate wanted to give his business a different title from its registered name and was able to do so by availing of Rocket Lawyer's DBA registration service. The company will conduct a name search, determine the requirements, file and process the application on your behalf for $99 plus state fees .
The DBA registration service is included in LegalShield's Small Business Plan.
4. Statement of Information
For a company to remain in good standing, there are documents that need to be filed and submitted.
Rocket Lawyer offers a State of Information feature wherein the company will determine what documents you need and file initial and annual reports on your behalf. You can visit their website to get a priced quote on the service.
LegalShield does not offer this service.
Rocket Lawyer offers customer support to assist users throughout the business formation process. Their support team is available to answer questions, provide guidance, and address small business owners' concerns through email and phone call.
My client had several concerns during the formation of his LLC, and their support team was responsive through email.
You may contact LegalShield through chat, phone call, and email. Their phone service is available Monday through Friday, 7am-7pm CT
Which has a More Affordable Plan, Rocket Lawyer or LegalShield?
LegalShield has a more affordable plan since its basic formation package only costs $149 and includes free legal consultation for 3 months.
Is Rocket Lawyer Legally Binding?
Rocket Lawyer is legally binding since the Esign Act has enacted that electronic signatures are valid.
Rocket Lawyer Vs LegalShield: Our Recommendation
LegalShield and Rocket Lawyer are two prominent online legal service providers, each catering to different specialties and target markets.
I advise new business owners and entrepreneurs to consider all the features and services that the company has to offer before finalizing their decision.
While both platforms offer valuable resources for legal needs, ZenBusiness stands out as an excellent choice.
As one of the best online formation services, with ongoing compliance support, and access to professional advisors, ZenBusiness provides a holistic solution that goes beyond legal documentation.