How to Change an LLC Name in Utah? (Step by Step Guide)
As a Utah LLC owner, it may become necessary to change the name of your business. For whatever reason, it is best to know what steps to take.
To help complete your LLC name change process successfully, our panel of business professionals with over a decade of practice will provide the requirements and procedures based on the Utah Department of Commerce.
Simply follow the step-by-step guide to expedite the process legally and without complications.
- To change an LLC name in Utah, one must file an Amendment to the Articles of Organization Limited Liability Company form.
- It costs $37 to change an LLC name in Utah.
- Utah LLC owners can change their LLC name online, by mail, fax, or in person.
3 Steps to Change an LLC Name in Utah
There are three steps you must take when changing your Utah LLC name.
1. Choose a New Utah LLC Name
Utah state law mandates that your name meets certain naming requirements when choosing a new business name.
- The words "Limited Liability Company" or the abbreviations "L.L.C." or "LLC" must be included after the name of the company.
- The new name cannot resemble any other entity doing business in Utah and on file with the Utah Secretary of State.
- Your business name cannot contain words that imply that your company is a state agency or with a purpose other than what is outlined in its articles of organization or incorporation .
It's crucial to be sure the new company name is original and that no one in Utah has registered it as a domain or started a business using it.
We recommend using the Utah Business Entity Search tool to conduct a name search and the Utah Business Availability search tool to check the availability of your desired name .
Utah LLCs are searchable by:
- ID number
- Business name
- Executive name
Run a trademark search on the Utah Trademark Search Database to be sure the business name you wish to use for your company is distinct from anything already protected by a trademark.
Read more: How to Look Up an LLC in Utah
2. File a Name Reservation Form
To reserve your preferred Utah business name, you must file an Application for Name Reservation with the Utah Secretary of State website.
Your business entity name will be reserved for 120 days from filing.
The filing fee for an application is $22.
3. File a Utah LLC Articles of Amendment
Your document must contain the following:
- State entity number
- Official current LLC name
- New LLC name
- How Certificate of Organization is amended
- The filing date of the initial Certificate of Organization
- Effective date
- Principal office address and signature
You can file your Utah Amendment online, in person, by fax, or by mail. Note that fax filings must include a fax cover letter and credit card information.
To amend articles online, login into your Limited Liability Company account with your Access ID and entity number. Follow the prompted instructions and submit a $37 non-refundable filing fee.
If you file by mail, submit 2 copies of the Utah amendment form to the following mailing address:
Utah Division of Corporations & Commercial Code
PO Box 146705
Salt Lake City, UT 84114-6705
In person to:
Utah Department of Commerce
Heber M. Wells Building 160 E. 300 S, 1st Floor Salt Lake City, UT 84111
Fax: (801) 530-6438
LLC Amendments to Articles of Organization are processed within 5-7 business days by the Utah Division of Corporations and Commercial Code.
The department also allows 48-hour expedited processing at $75 on top of the $37 filing fee.
Once approved, the Division of Corporations and Commercial Code will send an acknowledgment letter to your registered agent.
If you file by mail, you'll receive your certified copy at the return business address.
What to Do After You Change Your Utah LLC Name?
After you change your Utah LLC name, make sure to update your business records, update licenses and permits, and ensure all business documentation reflects the new name.
- Write to the IRS with the mailing address you use to file your returns and notify them of the new name in full per the approved amended articles.
- Amend internal documents like the LLC operating agreement to reflect the new name.
- Register the new name with the Utah State Tax Commission Department for tax purposes.
- Notify the Utah Department of Workforce Services if your LLC has employees.
- Update your business license/permits with the Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing (DOPL), the local city clerk's, etc.
- Update your LLC business bank accounts, credit cards, and all accounts associated with your LLC, like creditors, suppliers, etc.
- Ensure all your identifying materials, including letterheads, logos, email addresses, and others, reflect the name change.
- Ensure your new name appears on all third-party communications, updated contracts and partnership agreements, and any subsequent legal documents.
How Long Does It Take the State to Process a Utah LLC Amendment?
It takes 5-7 business days for the state to process your Utah LLC Amendment. A 48-hour expedited service is also available at an extra cost.
How Much Does a Utah LLC Amendment Cost?
A Utah LLC Amendment costs $37 to file online, fax in-person, or by mail. Expedited service is also allowed at $75.
Do You Need Help Changing Your Utah LLC Name?
When you're an LLC owner in Utah, changing your LLC name requires dedicating time, effort, and completing the specific amendment forms mandated by the state. Therefore, seeking help from a qualified professional company with years of expertise in LLC amendment services is critical.
Utilizing Incfile’s amendment service can help you avoid any mistakes or incomplete amendments, ensuring that the secretary of state's office approves your LLC name change.
This reputable LLC service provider possesses extensive knowledge of the state's requirements for LLC owners and boasts a highly capable staff that promptly and efficiently responds to state inquiries and document requests, ensuring your company remains fully compliant with the law.